🎲 Let's Make a Hexmap!
I need a hazardous hexmap for a post-apocalyptic science-fantasy-meets-dark-fantasy game I’m developing to play with some friends. I think things like this always end up more interesting when the input of multiple people creates emergent complexity. That’s where you come in!
(I’ll make a cleaner version with canonical symbols, once we complete the exercise.)
- Reply: you can send a webmention as a reply to this post, reply on micro.blog (see link below), or reply by email (see link below).
- Place an element: pick from the menu below (a terrain selection or a point of interest), and give me coordinates for it. I’ll place it if it doesn’t invalidate one I already placed, and then update the map.
- Two then you: you only get to take another turn if two other changes have happened since the one you requested.
- Terrain (color): Choose 3 hexes of one terrain type and 1 hex of another terrain type. They must be contiguous (connected) with one another. Assume hexes are 25 miles-ish. I’ll need coordinates for all 4. Note: All hexes will eventually get a terrain.
- Swamp (green): soggy areas filled with things that lurk, where people scrap together whatever safety they can, often on stilts or in the trees
- Wasteland (purple): radiation, toxic spills, infestation, or other terrible things make this land inhospitable to all but the most resilient of beings
- Desert (orange): whether sand, rock, glass, or worse, people here are often nomadic, seeking out scarce resources wherever they can find them
- Mountain (black): steep, formidable, and buffeted by strong winds, people usually live and move inside, rather than trying to cross them
- Archipelago (teal): the waters are filled with small islands, harsh storms, and predators, and people make their way around in small craft and flotillas
- Point of interest (letter). Only one of these may exist on a hex. You can place them regardless of if the terrain is chosen already, or not.
- Skyship (S): It looms overhead, slowly making its way across the landscape. Restriction: only one on the map. If it is already placed, you may choose this again to move it one hex in any direction.
- Metropolis (M): What could even sustain a population in these horrid lands? Something has, because many are here. Restriction: only one per terrain type.
- Gathering (G): There are people here, though in smaller quantity. Maybe permanently as a settlement, maybe temporarily or nomadically.
- Conflict ©: Nobody wants to be here, not even those involved.
- Ruin ®: Wonders from a previous era, for those brave or foolish enough to investigate.
- Phenomenon (P): This strange thing shouldn’t exist, and yet reports say it does.